Wednesday 19 June 2013


other pieces for unit 4 inspired by Grayson Perry and gender binary- I could rant on for a very long time about how much I respect Graysons work but instead I will paste in my responses and work.
















my final piece for unit four (alongside my pots!) Overtly feminine pot, exposing the multifaciated nature of the female form and personality. 
directly pasted from my evaluation: 

"By looking using the form of pottery I developed 3D textile responses which referenced the same ideas. Loom weaving is very flat and very tactile, especially when you are constrained to a loom. I experimented with different sizes and shapes of looms and also adding more three-dimensional elements to the piece, such as large hand-knitting and french knitted pieces to create something aesthetically more interesting. My coil pot work lead me to experiment with coils again but with coils of french knitting which I bound one on top of the other two produce a knitted teapot. Each individual line had to be stitched through the top and bottom of the pot to seal it completely. Interestingly- this piece as a reflection of domestic life in a overly feminine form is something that is ‘unusable’. Knitting is not waterproof, so unless it has an influence from another substance, a plastic lining or another thick lining, it cannot do it’s job. Contextually, this can be liked to the idea of the ‘Cult of Domesticity’ and how women in America were fighting ‘A problem with no name’ -( Betty Friedan in the 1950s) because of the stifling conditions in the domestic sphere. One of my final experiments was a very tactile pot made up from different media, cross stitch material, knitting, weaving, felting and manipulation of other fabrics. I decided to control the colour scheme to being pale colours, beiges, light pinks, (overly feminine)- but also added much bolder areas with darker pinks and light blues. On observation the pot is full of juxtapositions, with it’s colour, form and shape it is ugly and clumsy but I also see it as being soft, subtle, gentle and delicate. I like different textures which sit side by side and the different patterns they create. "






No comments:

Post a Comment