Wednesday 19 June 2013

unit 4 photography

for my unit 4 photography project I chose the theme "drawing with light" which transported me into many hours of experimentation with only reeds, lemon juice and photographic paper for company.
My main artist was Susan Degas who creates photograms by lowering photography paper into a lake and allowing a combinaton of the waters ph and moonlight to expose it. She wanted to capture her favourite places using cameraless photography. What I find most interesting is that she captures the true sense of place through texture and feeling.
something I wrote about my favourite place"

“the way the thorns delicately snag my skin tearing it’s soft surface or the way the sun emulates on your side. This was your favourite place, a manmade, dogspoilt paradise which you invited me into, sharing the feelings of warmth. You told me about early mornings sitting upon the earthy ground and evenings in the dark, i longed to see the fireflies and the creaking of the crickets, but most of all i longed to be by your side…….but with every stone you threw upon its glasses abyss an explosion transcended amongst the waves as it flung up and down into the water skipping away"

collecting objects:


getting p.b to gather me reeds cos my arms aren't long enough







i love using the dark room/ lime juice because there are so many possible outcomes. I splattered it on, dripped it over a piece of glass, squashed it under a piece of glass, exposed it for 10 seconds, exposed it for 5 seconds, ripped the paper, developed it for twice as long ect. 

then i experimented with layering it over both the gathering items images (original images above) and images of the very square architecture of the sainsburys centre of visual arts. I thought it was especially interesting juxtaposing the artificial, square, harsh, grey, manmade structure against the natural elements.


No comments:

Post a Comment