Friday 6 February 2015

update, september - december projects!

before the christmas holidays we are all expected to make a portfolio of our work to date, from starting back in september to present time. We then have prescheduled appointments with our tutors to talk about progress and the future.

My PDF: 



Jonathan Cape, graphic novel competition, brief set in May - September.
We had to think of a narrative and then illustrate it for submission to the Jonathan Cape short story project with the Guardian. I found this really difficult and my brain was fixed in summer mode so I had to make do with one idea and run with it relatively close to the deadline as I couldn't make an educated decision. It turned out ok and it was a big learning curve for the future- even now, 5 month on I can really appreciate this project and how far i've come since.


Beyond The Frame project- This project was with Rose Blake and was influenced by the Tate Britains permanent collection. We were each given one piece from the collection at random and were told to research it and create a piece of work in response to it. I got The Beef of Old England, a very famous painting from Hogarth, artist renowned for his social satire. I wanted to look at the idea of social classes, as someone who really loves the work of Hogarth, I liked The Beef Of Old England, but it wasn't my favourite piece by him,  I much preferred the Rakes Progress series which looks at the life of Tom Rakewell as he goes through social classes until his death. I did a lot of research into social tropes and the 'taste tribes' as Grayson Perry calls it in his TV documentary, The Vanity Of Small Differences. I am really interested in Middle Class taste and what people in that social class precieve as good- normally influenced by their peers, Cath Kidson and wanting to look 'Cultured' I really wanted my table cloth to look like something an unknowing person of middle class social standing would buy, looking at a distance at a pattern similar to a Cath Kidson but not realising that it holds connotations of working class traditions, tattoos, football hooliganism and council estates.


On location illustration at the British Museum




Summer Project Collaboration for the BFI, Illustrated article on YEARBOOKS



Work in progress sketchbook research for Conversation Project. In the briefing for the conversation project we were all given a number at random which corresponded to a book in the library which we were told to pick a quote from and illustrate using text- we then all ran down to find our books to get started! Very exciting. I got a book on photography during the Apartheid which I found very challenging throughout, I am very awake of my own personal privilege as a white girl who has grown up in a very white dominated area of the country and one thing that annoys me no end is the amount of white artists who produce work for an issue that they could never understand or comprehend. Misrepresentation is terrible especially when the topic is as important as this. So, after much deliberation I decided to look into process and the force of oppression which lead me to looking at traditional letterpress. Traditional letterpress has it's own rules and a very specific way of thinking- the letters are forced to conform within a small frame and pressure forces them together and into making a mark on the page. Which I thought related nicely to the idea of oppression. I went back to my book- and looked through for an appropriate conversation to illustrate- until I realised that the piece as a whole would be more effective if I used a quote from the book on traditional letterpress that could also be read in the book on the Apartheid, in which I found "IT WAS PHYSICALLY DRAINING, MEDICALLY DANGEROUS AND OFTEN TEDIOUS". I decided not to use ink as I just wanted a faint indent into the page- just the feeling of pressure. I had a lot of difficultly as I was using letters meant for leather- which were not a complete alphabet which meant a lot of arranging + sticking with double sided tape, pressing using the hydraulic press, rearranging and repressing, hoping that the paper would remain in the same place. It was a long process with a lot of trial and error, but i'm pleased with the result. I probably should experiment with laser cutting the text and pressing that way, for future reference.

Conversation Project final image


Experimental Life Drawing 


Experimental Life Drawing


Pencil Sketches from Grant Museum of Zoology 


Illustrations from London Fashion Week 

Personal Project experimenting with ceramics + glazing

Sketchbook Journal Pages

I designed some simple polymer clay necklaces and stitched drawstring bags to sell them in to help raise money for our degree show next year. The bags and the tags were screenprinted by me at uni! I then used my sewing machine and a lot of patience to sew the bags up!


Final piece for the beyond the frame project, a silk table cloth celebrating working + middleclass taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment